Sunday, August 8, 2010

Some Recommendations

Betty Crocker has come out with a whole bunch of gluten free baking mixes. So far we have only tried the Devil's Food cake mix and WOW, was it good! It's the gluten free version of the chocolate cake I have had  each year for my birthday. No funny after taste. Even my picky eater boys (who know who they are) said it tastes just like 'regular' cake. I can't wait to try the other mixes. They're also coming out with a gluten free Bisquick this summer. We simply used Ener-G egg replacer and Earth Balance Buttery Spread along with the frosting I mentioned in a previous post.
I also recommend Sunshine Burgers.  They are Veggie burgers that are gluten free, soy free, egg and dairy free. It was really good on tapioca bread with spinach, tomato, and barbeque sauce.
Tonight we made pizza using Bob's Red Mill Pizza Crust Mix. (It just so happens we have far too many gluten free mixes on hand and need to use them up). It turned out well! I used 2 Tablespoons of flaxseed meal mixed with 6 Tablespoons of water to replace the eggs. The toppings were a jar of pizza sauce (w/o soy), onions, green peppers, garlic, mushrooms, spinach, Daiya cheese, and tomatoes from our garden. I topped it off with basil and oregano that I grow on our sun porch.


Last and certainly not least, I highly recommend Amy's vegan rice macaroni and cheese. It's made with non-dairy Daiya cheese. No soy ingredients. Perfect! Thick and smooth. I prefer it over any other macaroni and cheese. Vegan or otherwise.

While I understand that some prefer to make everything from scratch, it's always nice to have some backups for convenience. As a college student, these little goodies are life savers to me. And while on the topic of convenience...
It's also interesting to note that the Outback, Olive Garden, 99, Uno Chicago Grill (and more) restaurants are offering gluten free menus. You just have to know to ask. Merci beaucoup!

No comments:

Post a Comment