Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Birthday Cake!

Today we are celebrating my grandfather's birthday. Traditionally we always had a chocolate cake with chocolate frosting for everyone's birthday. Our family LOVES chocolate. Now, my grandpa (aka Papa) has no known food allergies, but what kind of party is it when only two people can eat the cake? I had to adjust our chocolate frosting family recipe to contain a buttery spread made of olive oil in place of butter (I used Earth Balance Buttery Spread), and rice milk instead of cow's milk. And who knew...it tastes EXACTLY the same! We credit this recipe to my great-grandmother who everyone called Memere.
Memere's chocolate frosting recipe:
3 T butter (regular or vegan butter)
3oz unsweetened baking chocolate
3 cups confectioners sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup milk (regular or rice milk)
1 tsp vanilla
Melt butter in saucepan, add chocolate and stir over low heat until melted. Pour into a small bowl. Add remaining ingredients and beat until well blended. Chill until spreading consistency (10-15 minutes).
For the cake I used a Bob's Red Mill vanilla cake mix. I don't personally like the after taste of many Bob's Red Mill products, so I added a little extra vanilla in hopes of covering it up a bit. I also used Ener-G egg replacer instead of the three eggs the recipe called for. The cake didn't rise as much as a normal "wheat infested" (as my mother calls it) cake. So it was shorter and I ended up with a nice amount of leftover frosting to do something else fun with later.

No comments:

Post a Comment