Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Good Bugs

When I discover that something is wrong, be it within myself or otherwise, I don’t like to slap a band aid on it or pop some pills (at least not anymore). Studying for my psychology degree has led me to seek out the underlying reasons why people are as they are. Allergies are no different. I wanted to know why people develop allergies, so I began to research. Isn’t it fascinating that more and more people are developing allergies and intolerances later in life?
Although this isn't the only cause of allergies, I discovered something called “leaky gut syndrome” or intestinal permeability (where food particles that are too large, manage to get through a weakened digestive system and the immune system attacks these particles, causing an allergic reaction). Ok. Fine. So what causes leaky gut syndrome? Lots of things. Taking over the counter pills like Ibuprofen, Aspirin, Tylenol etc., taking antibiotics and not restoring the good bacteria within your digestive system, and a fungal infection called Candida.

I want to note that I did not spend the 90 some-odd dollars on the test to be diagnosed for intestinal permeability. But due to the fact that I ignorantly took antibiotics numerous times in high school, and used to take a pain reliever for every minor ache, the possibility exists. I decided to start taking probiotics, drink soothing tea (Marshmallow root, Peppermint, Slippery Elm) and be very gentle with my digestive system. I stumbled across “The Water Cure” by Dr. F. Batmanghelidj and realized that my body is primarily water. If I gave it what it was mostly composed of, there would be more right with me than wrong.

I don’t watch the Oprah show religiously or anything, but I was sucked in when I noticed she was doing an episode on food. My weakness. She was interviewing Michael Pollan and discussing the movie Food Inc., which everyone should see. With all of the chemicals and antibiotics on/in our food it’s not surprising that so many people are becoming allergic to the very things that are supposed to be sustaining us. I visited the Food Inc. website, and discovered their blog. The following article hit home fast: Western Diet Kills Good Bugs in Stomach, Causes Obesity and Allergies.
I am entirely convinced that food allergies, are not merely a hereditary thing. Despite the fact that most of my family has problems with food, it may be because we have been eating the same conventional foods, taking the same pain killers, and antibiotics. So, I try to eat what is local and in season (and grow whatever I can at home).
Farmer's Market Peaches and Plums
Purple Basil from Sarah's Garden

No comments:

Post a Comment