Thursday, August 26, 2010

Mood Dessert

I honestly don’t feel very deprived unless I go out to a chain restaurant and have to ask for special alterations for everything on the menu. But since I’m often the one that cooks anyway, I make my would-be-bland diet exciting by trying new things. To all my dairy-free friends, give this a try, you won’t be disappointed.

Rich and creamy chocolate mousse –dairy free!

1 avocado

¼ cup unsweetened cocoa

¼ cup agave

½ tsp vanilla

Blend in food processor and serve OR fill ice cube trays for frozen treats…or make fudge pops!

This is a very rich dessert, and high in fat/calories (but it’s the good fat: monounsaturated fat and omega-3
fatty acids.). It may be good with bananas mixed in, or some gluten free/ dairy free Oreos, or graham crackers. It was hard for me to eat a whole bowl full, I definitely recommend having a small amount mixed with the before mentioned items and saving the rest as little frozen treats.

 
Fall is my favorite season and the weather lately is starting to put me in the mood for apples, pumpkin picking and pies. This weekend was a good bonding experience with my future mother-in-law. I have to give her lots of credit for being so willing to prepare meals for me that are free of all my allergens. She decided she wanted to make a fruit dessert that I could eat. So we hung out in the kitchen and played with some flavors.

Fruit Cobbler
1 can of cherry pie filling (or homemade cherry pie filling if you prefer)

1 can of peaches (or 2-3 ripe peaches, peeled and chopped)

3 Tbsp Sugar (or use a substitute such as Agave but less will be needed b/c it is sweeter than sugar)

2 tsp Cinnamon

½ tsp Nutmeg

½ cup Ground oats (Bob's Red Mill makes certified gluten free oats now)

½ cup Whole oats

The first crucial step is to toast the ground and whole oats in a frying pan with some cinnamon on low. Move the oats around frequently so they don’t burn.

Combine the pie filling, peaches, nutmeg, cinnamon and choice of sweetener in a bowl. Pour mixture into a baking dish. Sprinkle toasted oats on top and place the dish in the oven on 350 for 10-15 minutes or until heated through.

This dish was really simple, but very warm and satisfying. This has a flavor almost opposite to the chocolate mousse, so choose whichever suits your mood!

No comments:

Post a Comment